As you may have noticed it has been very quiet with Orange Bison over the last several months. There has been no new indie game reviews, no new content being published, even the twitter account fell silent. Why did this happen? Did we just abandon you? Have we lost interest in indie games? Will Orange Bison come back? All fantastic questions, read on and all will be revealed.
Life Sometimes Has Other Plans
Despite all my best intentions, life has a way of not caring for them and doing its own thing. You see, Orange Bison was created and launched by me and me alone. I didn’t have a team behind me or large sums of cash in the bank. Orange Bison was launched due to my love of indie games and the fact that there just isn’t enough support for indie games out there. I had and still do have grand plans for Orange Bison but when Orange Bison was launched I was working full time at another business. This job provided my income, to be able to feed myself, pay rent, pay bills and with a little left over to keep the lights on at Orange Bison.
For many months I burned the candle on both ends and I handled it well until I went to my paid job one day and was told I along with several other team members had been selected for redundancy and to return home immediately. This came as quite a shock as you can imagine. All other priorities were secondary as I fought to keep a roof over my head and find a source of income.
Job opportunities were few but eventually and just in the nick of time I secured another full time role. Due to the months of unemployment I had done significant damage to any savings I had and any credit facilities that I had. It took me almost a year to get on my feet financially and just when everything seemed to click into place I was made redundant again.
The lights at Orange Bison were on but new content was a far off dream. Once again I found myself in a horrible situation. A situation I wouldn’t wish on my worst enemy. It would be very easy to give up, to give in, to allow your entire world to collapse around you. I took a week to myself, went for walks with my dog Dexter, soaked in the suns rays and I made a decision. I decided that I needed to work for myself, I needed job security, to know that I would have a roof over my head.
Of course you just don’t launch a successful business. It takes time. I found myself a job to pay the bills in the short term but long term my commitment is to create a secure income for me and my small family.
What Is This New Commitment?
Orange Bison and the indie game scene has been a passion of mine for many years. Orange Bison itself has now been live for two years and look what has been achieved despite Life trying its hardest to distract me.
My commitment is to the indie game and indie dev community. To ramp up efforts at Orange Bison to do much more than just review your games.
What do I mean by this? Well, right now I have so many options but this is where you come in! I can choose to go in various directions but I want your input. In order for me to work for myself and live without worry of another redundancy, Orange Bison needs to start generating income.
There are many ways this can be done. Some of the obvious ones such as selling advertising don’t appeal to me. I want Orange Bison to be an enjoyable experience and not one cluttered with unwelcomed ads. The focus is to help indie game developers realise their own dreams while also delivering great content for gamers to consume.
Below is a list of ideas that I know can benefit indie devs, game studios and gamers. It’s not often I ask for direct input like this but read the list below and comment on what you would like me to pursue and why.
- With my background and experience I have built up a significant skillset in web design, e-commerce, digital and email marketing. All very valuable skills to any indie game dev or game studio.
- Game assets could be created by game artists from around the World. Graphics and music for example. The artists would be paid a generous commission on each sale. This helps promote the artist, helps them earn a nice recurring revenue stream and does the same for Orange Bison.
- A new indie only game platform to purchase indie games. Are you dying to see a new online platform exclusively for indie games where you can sell and purchase from indie devs and game studios?
- Printed or physical materials/products. Would you like something physical to show your love for an indie game? Or would you like to receive something physical when you purchase and indie game? This can come in the form of printed materials, posters, t-shirts etc.
- Is there a product or service you currently use or would like to use for your indie game but perhaps costs too much?
- Any other thoughts or suggestions on the direction you would like to see Orange Bison take.
The Journey Starts Now
Whatever direction we take, we will take it together. Orange Bison was created to help indie devs and game studios, that will never change.
Please comment below and please share share share. Here’s to the future of Orange Bison.